Wisdom has a matchless reputation for producing the finest-quality books on Buddhism and meditation. We are now growing and developing several new platforms to expand our reach, including a popular podcast and online courses. Now is an exciting time to join our passionate, dedicated team, gain experience in a rapidly-evolving media company, become part of a legacy, and have a true impact on people around the world.
We provide a rich, meaningful, inspiring, and exciting workplace environment. We occasionally have openings on our team, and we welcome your application. We seek people who are interested in the dharma, deeply committed to hard work, scrupulous, highly ethical, humble, and positive. Every member of our team has a unique opportunity to make a real and lasting contribution to the Buddhist world.
If you’d like to work at Wisdom, send your resume and a cover letter to jobs [at] wisdompubs.org.
REPORTS TO: Editorial and Production Manager
LOCATION: Somerville, MA STATUS: Full Time
Joining Wisdom Publications (a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization) as Production Assistant is an exciting opportunity to become a team member at a swiftly growing and evolving media company publishing the highest-quality content in the fields of Buddhism and meditation. The Production Assistant will be working directly with our content and will be integral to the creation of both traditional print books and a cutting-edge digital reading experience that Wisdom is developing.
Committed for over thirty years to excellence, scholarship, and supporting a diverse international community, Wisdom is now moving into new multimedia ventures and becoming an even greater resource to people across the world.
This a unique chance to work with an enthusiastic team in service of a truly profound mission.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Researches options and makes recommendations for the materials of our books, including special projects, liaising directly with manufacturers as necessary.
- Creates, maintains, and QAs digital editions of our books for all platforms (Kindle, etc.), and works with the developer to optimize the reader’s experience of our own cloud-based platform.
- Supports the Production Editor and the Editorial and Production Manager with preparing front- and backlist titles for printing, including making changes to the text or design as necessary.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of office technology including MS office suite (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Competency with Adobe InDesign and, ideally, Photoshop and Quark
- 1–2 years of relevant experience
- Strong speaking, written, and documentation skills
- Driven to be successful and contribute to a team obtaining a common goal
- Proactive, positive, can-do, and inquisitive approach to daily work and special projects
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and curious about the mechanics of publishing
- Excited by both the physical materials of traditional books and the possibilities of digitalization
- Familiar with contemplative practice, preferably
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
An attractive compensation package will be provided for the successful candidate, which will include:
- Performance bonus
- Strong medical, dental, and disability insurance plans
- 401(k) plan including a 6% company match
- Paid Time Off
- 3 weeks’ vacation
- 11 company holidays
- Sick time policy
Send your cover letter, resume, and at least three references’ contact information to lcunningham [at] wisdompubs.org with subject line “Production Assistant.”